What Is Man's Chief End?

Man's chief end is to glorify God, [a] and to enjoy Him for ever. [b]
[a]. Ps. 86:9; Isa. 60:21; Rom. 11:36; I Cor. 6:20; 10:31; Rev. 4:11
[b]. Ps. 16:5-11; 144:15; Isa. 12:2; Luke 2:10; Phil. 4:4; Rev. 21:3-4
THE WESTMINSTER SHORTER CATECHISM
Every new believer has been set apart by God, separated unto God to be transformed into the likeness of His Son, Jesus Christ. In this sense, every believer is a saint- a person separated from his old sinful way of life and set apart by God to increasingly glorify God as his life is transformed! Jerry Bridges in Respectable Sins

My Pursuit!

>> Sunday, October 18, 2009


I've been reading the book The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges. How unsettling it is to notice how far I have come in my walk with the Lord, but also how far I need to go!! My family and I have made big steps in our walk toward holiness, changing a lot of viewing choices and activities that lead to nowhere. It has actually been the best decisions we have made. We have noticed big changes in ourselves and how we view the world. But as I read this awesome book and realize that, even though I have come so far, my heart is still deceitful and sin still rules me. I have been rescued from sin's dominion in my life, but I still allow sin to rule me!! I still deal with major sins in my life. Jerry Bridges also wrote a book called Respectable Sins, and in it he shows us how, as Christians we tolerate so many "respectable" sins in our lives while being intolerant of the world's Big Sins. Does God just overlook our "little" sins while He should be punishing the world for their "big" sins? I'm learning that God looks at my problem with anger and criticism just as He looks at those "big sins". I'm thankful that I serve a Loving God that is patient with me. May He grant me grace to choose Holiness over the little things that make me angry. May He grant me grace to choose Holiness when I want to be critical of someone!! This pursuit is HARD, but I want it, even if it kills me!!

2 comments:

Mrs A October 18, 2009 at 8:20 PM  

((Shellie)) Nice to meet you :-) I'm on Proverbs31Sisters as well. Our church is currently going thru that book in another bible study (I'm not able to take at this time) and I hear it's wonderful :)

lovely blog

Nancy, aka Mrs A

Saint Shellie October 30, 2009 at 7:55 PM  

Hello Nancy. Thanks for visiting and commenting. Yes, I'm part of Proverbs31Sisters, too. I'm glad to hear that your church is reading this book. It's a great one. Every church needs to read it!!

Blessings to You,
Saint Shellie

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I will do my best to reply in a timely manner. Keep in mind that I am a busy, homeschool mom and wife, so please give me grace if I am not able to respond quickly.

Remember that this is a Christian blog, so I will not give any time to rude, inflammatory, or gossipy comments. We can agree to disagree, but only in a loving, Christlike manner.

Blessings to You,
Saint Shellie

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Watch This Cool Dynamation From Kids4Truth

View the Watchmaker Dynamation

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP