What Is Man's Chief End?

Man's chief end is to glorify God, [a] and to enjoy Him for ever. [b]
[a]. Ps. 86:9; Isa. 60:21; Rom. 11:36; I Cor. 6:20; 10:31; Rev. 4:11
[b]. Ps. 16:5-11; 144:15; Isa. 12:2; Luke 2:10; Phil. 4:4; Rev. 21:3-4
THE WESTMINSTER SHORTER CATECHISM
Every new believer has been set apart by God, separated unto God to be transformed into the likeness of His Son, Jesus Christ. In this sense, every believer is a saint- a person separated from his old sinful way of life and set apart by God to increasingly glorify God as his life is transformed! Jerry Bridges in Respectable Sins

Walking In Love In the New Year

>> Wednesday, January 20, 2010


In my pursuit for holiness, my heartfelt desire has been for the Lord to reduce me to love. My prayer at the beginning of the year was that of John the Baptist, "He must increase, and I must decrease." But how sad it is to see in myself how badly I want to stay right where I am!! That is a dangerous prayer to pray because God is definitely testing me.

And being pregnant doesn't help in this endeavor. Perpetual PMS symptoms can keep me in a state of mind that does NOT want to walk in love, much less walking in "like". :) And of course, the people that God uses to test you are the ones you live with.

So, for the coming months, my kids and I are going to focus on learning to walk in love. In our Daily Bread studies we are focusing on Sowing Seeds of Godly Character. We began this by learning what God says about sowing and reaping a harvest. Then about our hearts, because that is where the seeds of God's Word is sown. We are the "farmers", cultivating the soil in our hearts and then sowing the seeds, while God is the One Who gives the harvest of Godly Character Fruits.

While doing and practicing Godly Character, we could have began with diligence, responsibility, self control, thankfulness, etc., etc. But I was feeling the tug to start with Love. Why?

Well, 1st Corinthians 13 tells us that we can do all these good and Godly things, but have not love, we are NOTHING!! Boy, that will make you think! Now, I must put this in~~~ Is walking in love always lovey-dovey all the time? No, there is a time when tough love comes into play. But that is another post...

Getting back to the reason I felt we needed to start with love was this verse:
1st Thessalonians 3: 12-13 And may the Lord make you increase and abound in love to one another and to all, just as we do to you, so that He may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all the saints.

Wow! In our pursuit, we must begin with love for others while we are dealing with our "pet sins". I'll admit, this is going to be difficult for me. Sure I can walk in love for fellow believers, but when it comes to ones I live with, I need help!!!!! I am a selfish person!! I am a proud person!! I like to be right!! I like to have the last word!!

So, as you can see, this is going to be quite a challenge for me. But, I'm up for the challenge, hormones and all.

Here is a favorite quote by Cynthia Heald:

"Anytime love is pursued, the pursuer can never be the same, for it is the nature of love to transform."

Keep pressing on,
Saint Shellie

1 comments:

Mrs A February 2, 2010 at 9:30 PM  

oh Sweet Shellie,m thank you for sharing your heart. Wonderful words and I am grateful to read it today :)

God bless,

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I will do my best to reply in a timely manner. Keep in mind that I am a busy, homeschool mom and wife, so please give me grace if I am not able to respond quickly.

Remember that this is a Christian blog, so I will not give any time to rude, inflammatory, or gossipy comments. We can agree to disagree, but only in a loving, Christlike manner.

Blessings to You,
Saint Shellie

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Watch This Cool Dynamation From Kids4Truth

View the Watchmaker Dynamation

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP