What Is Man's Chief End?

Man's chief end is to glorify God, [a] and to enjoy Him for ever. [b]
[a]. Ps. 86:9; Isa. 60:21; Rom. 11:36; I Cor. 6:20; 10:31; Rev. 4:11
[b]. Ps. 16:5-11; 144:15; Isa. 12:2; Luke 2:10; Phil. 4:4; Rev. 21:3-4
THE WESTMINSTER SHORTER CATECHISM
Every new believer has been set apart by God, separated unto God to be transformed into the likeness of His Son, Jesus Christ. In this sense, every believer is a saint- a person separated from his old sinful way of life and set apart by God to increasingly glorify God as his life is transformed! Jerry Bridges in Respectable Sins

"Do You Trust Me?"

>> Tuesday, May 18, 2010

"Do you trust Me?"

I remember those words in my ears, so audibly, so clear, as if I could actually feel the breath of God.

"Do you trust Me?"

This was years ago when I was facing a moment of fear in my mind. And as soon as the fear entered my thoughts, God spoke to me.

I will NEVER forget that moment! God was challenging me and my faith. Of course, I answered, "Yes, Lord, I trust YOU!"

Now, ever since then, when things come along to bring doubt, confusion, fear, and anxiety, I have to remember those words. "Do you trust Me?"

But, every time I have to ask myself, "Do I trust Him?" Can I honestly say that I trust God all of the time???? If I were completely honest and forthcoming, I would have to answer, "No!"

I forget! I lose sight of my Savior in the midst of the problem, just as Peter did when he was walking on the water. Peter was able to walk on the water as long as he kept his eyes on Jesus. But, as soon as he looked away and focused on the raging sea, he began to sink. THEN he cried out to Jesus for help.

Trusting God with all of our lives, with all of our circumstances, is just as important to Him as pursuing holiness and walking in love. As Jerry Bridges says in his book, Trusting God, "It often seems more difficult to trust God than it is to obey Him." And that is so true. Obeying God is something that we control, but trusting God in things that are ultimately out of our control is difficult.

The first thing I have to remember is that He is in control of EVERYTHING!!! The good, the bad, and the ugly! Consider what is said in Lamentations 3:37-38...

Who can speak and have it happen if the Lord has not decreed it? Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that both calamities and good things come?

God is Sovereign! He is God, the One and Only!! And if I would just remember that, then I would be able to rest. To rest assured! God is good and He does look out for our good. But what is our ultimate good??? Let's consider a Scripture that we all know, BUT a lot of us tend to leave out the most important part of it. Romans 8:28 AND 29...
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son,...

The ultimate good that God is talking about is not to make things turn out to keep us happy, BUT to conform us into the image of Christ. Our ultimate good is to be more like Christ, to reflect Him, and to bring Him glory!!! Isaiah 43:7 says,
"Everyone who is called by My Name, Whom I have created for My Glory; I have formed him, yes, I have made him."

So, if I can just remember that everything that happens in this life is in God's hand. In every circumstance, He is there!! Even when I can't see Him, He IS there!! The good, the bad, and the ugly things of life. When something comes up in my day that I wasn't expecting, when sickness comes, when my son chooses to do something that puts his life in danger, when family members just can't put their feelings aside and forgive, when homeschooling is not working the way I want it, etc., etc., etc... God IS in the middle of it all!!

So, do I trust God?? Can I trust Him?? Yes, I can because He promises to never leave me. Will I trust Him? Well, I'm learning to day by day.

Do You trust God with everything in your life?? Leave me a comment and tell me your thoughts on this. How has God brought you through something that increased your faith in Him? How has He proved His faithfulness to you? I would love to read about it.

Keep Pursuing Him,
Photobucket

2 comments:

Emily May 18, 2010 at 12:13 PM  

This is a subject (Trusting God) I struggle with very much! Isn't it amazing that we little people have trusting the God of the Universe? I don't know why I do it. I can't comment long here right now, but just wanted you to know I read this post and am thinking about it!
Emily

Michelle May 19, 2010 at 3:56 PM  

Ouch! I was going along just fine til you asked do I trust him with homeschooling. Although I'm not homeschooling I could hear God ask, do I trust him with my son's readiness for the GED. Do I trust him with my boys. I would like to think I do, but I must admit it's a struggle.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I will do my best to reply in a timely manner. Keep in mind that I am a busy, homeschool mom and wife, so please give me grace if I am not able to respond quickly.

Remember that this is a Christian blog, so I will not give any time to rude, inflammatory, or gossipy comments. We can agree to disagree, but only in a loving, Christlike manner.

Blessings to You,
Saint Shellie

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Watch This Cool Dynamation From Kids4Truth

View the Watchmaker Dynamation

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP