What Is Man's Chief End?

Man's chief end is to glorify God, [a] and to enjoy Him for ever. [b]
[a]. Ps. 86:9; Isa. 60:21; Rom. 11:36; I Cor. 6:20; 10:31; Rev. 4:11
[b]. Ps. 16:5-11; 144:15; Isa. 12:2; Luke 2:10; Phil. 4:4; Rev. 21:3-4
THE WESTMINSTER SHORTER CATECHISM
Every new believer has been set apart by God, separated unto God to be transformed into the likeness of His Son, Jesus Christ. In this sense, every believer is a saint- a person separated from his old sinful way of life and set apart by God to increasingly glorify God as his life is transformed! Jerry Bridges in Respectable Sins

The Gift of Suffering?

>> Monday, February 28, 2011

If you have read any of my posts lately, it is quite evident that things have been a struggle, to say the least.  And yet, life goes on.

But God is so good to me, an unworthy saint, to lead me to things that I need to read and/or hear, that puts things into proper perspective.  One of those things is a message by Elisabeth Elliot titled, "The Gift of Suffering." 

Say, what??  The gift of SUFFERING???  How can suffering be a gift?  Well, for one, God says that He disciplines those He loves. (Proverbs 3:11-12)  And, Jesus tells us to "deny ourselves, and take up our cross..." (Matthew 16:24-27)  

This message, and others by Elisabeth Elliot, have really helped me lately to step back and consider things differently.   (I am loving my itouch, since I can download these messages, among other things, and I can listen to them whenever I feel the need to be reminded!!  LOL!) 

Another thing is this wonderful book by Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are.  I have already begun counting my 1000 Gifts a while back in a previous post, but shamefully it has just been sitting and waiting for me to continue!!  And now that I have started reading this book, on my handy-dandy itouch kindle, I am ready to open my eyes and to recognize the little gifts, again. 



11.  Slobbery kisses from a 7 month old.
12.  Hugs every morning from an 11 year old.
13.  Talks with my 14 year old, knowing that teenagers need their mommies, too.
14.  My hubby's new work schedule, even when its hard to get used to.  It really is a gift from God.
15.  The fact that my husband has a job!!!!!
16.  Feet running to help when they hear their baby brother crying.
17.  Baby brother laughing at his big brothers.  He loves them so!
18.  Computers... even when they give you troubles!
19.  Husbands who know how to work on troubling computers!  :)
20.  Sleepless nights... knowing that there is a baby who needs his mommy.  And she is there to give him what he needs.  Yes, I am thankful for this!!! :)
21.  My itouch.  Have I mentioned that I really like this thing???  Hee Hee!
22.  My new treadmill!!!!!  Some wives would be mad for receiving this as a gift from their husbands, but not me!  Thank you, Honey.
23.  My Bible... need I say more??
24.  Laughter with friends, knowing that they accept me anyway!

So, join me.  How has the God of the Universe touched you lately?  Maybe things haven't been so easy for you, either, but we have to make ourselves look for the little things... the little ways that He touches us with Himself.  Isn't that what its all about??

Until Next Time, Keep Pursuing Him!

2 comments:

Michelle Holderman February 28, 2011 at 11:18 AM  

I love this post, Shellie! I very much relate. I also love Elisabeth Elliot and her book, "A Path Through Suffering" was such a tremendous help to me!

While none of us want or enjoy suffering, God, in His wisdom, often allows it and uses it to draw us closer to Him and make us look a lot more like His Son. I can honestly say through suffering, I've come to know Jesus in a much deeper and more intimate way and I wouldn't trade that for anything!

The Lord has been very good to me, especially in times of suffering. Don't know where I'd be without Him! Thank you for sharing this. Blessings to you and your family!

Michelle March 1, 2011 at 9:20 PM  

Oh Shellie dear! I've just started counting, too! I will be having a baby in 3 weeks (or less) so I've been struggling with finishing the book up. Lots going on...3 yr old, 20 month old...pregnant. Need I say more?

We must really have lots in common! I've been wanting to get some Elisabeth Elliot books to read. I, however, live in the boondocks and our library has hardly anything I ever search for.
:( So...it looks like I must buy or go 30 miles to another library. For now, I must wait for a meeting with Mrs. Elliot.

Love to "meet" others who are counting!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I will do my best to reply in a timely manner. Keep in mind that I am a busy, homeschool mom and wife, so please give me grace if I am not able to respond quickly.

Remember that this is a Christian blog, so I will not give any time to rude, inflammatory, or gossipy comments. We can agree to disagree, but only in a loving, Christlike manner.

Blessings to You,
Saint Shellie

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Watch This Cool Dynamation From Kids4Truth

View the Watchmaker Dynamation

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP